Warm, rich, creamy – Risotto is one of my favorite Italian entrees. Throw in crisp green asparagus, woody mushrooms, and crunchy pine nuts, then you have my favorite risotto recipe. Use fresh, home-made vegetable stock, lemon zest, and rainbow micro-greens to up the freshness ante. Buon Appetito!
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 10 Asparagus cut diagonal
- 1 full cup of mushroom melody- shiitake, porcini, oyster, chanterelle, hen of the woods
- 4 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 4.5 cups of fresh vegetable stock (recipe here)
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Rainbow micro-greens for garnishing
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Put the vegetable stock in a pan. Bring to a boil then decrease to low heat and let it simmer.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and give a quick sauté.
- Now, add the asparagus and mushrooms. Let it cook for 2-3 min until tender but still crunchy.
- Remove from heat and keep aside on a plate.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in the same pan.
- Sauté the shallots for a minute and then add the arborio rice.
- Stir the rice until it coats with the olive oil.
- Keep adding 1/2 cup of fresh vegetable stock to the rice on medium heat. Make sure all the vegetable stock gets incorporated in the rice before adding more stock to the pot.
- When the rice is almost done after 20-25 minutes, add the nutritional yeast, lemon zest, salt and crushed black pepper to it.
- Mix the asparagus and mushroom along with any liquid to the rice.
- Plate the Risotto with toasted pine nuts and rainbow micro-greens on top.