Unexpected flavors abound in this zesty, earthy, and delicious dish. Inspired by flavors I experienced this winter at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Lake Tahoe, this dish is packed with a healthy combination of roasted cauliflowers and mushrooms, cooked red quinoa and wilted baby kale. It’s rounded out with the capers which provide a salty bite, serranos that provide a little kick, and a splash of lemon juice that brings it all together.
For me, the star of the dish is the “hen of the woods” mushrooms. If you haven’t tried these mushrooms, they are truly delicious! The dish is colorful, healthy, and always a favorite. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 small cauliflower cut into medium florets
- 1 packet of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 packet of "hen of the woods" mushrooms
- 2 handfuls baby kale
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 serrano sliced
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Wash and cook 1 cup of red quinoa with 1.5 cups of water for about 20 minutes until soft. Keep it aside to cool.
- Wash the cauliflower florets. Sprinkle it with 2 tbsp of olive oil, crushed black pepper and Himalayan rock salt. Roast it on 400 degree F for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and tender. Keep it aside.
- Wash both the mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast then on 400 degree F for 30 minutes until tender.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a non stick pan. Add the garlic. Let it cook for few seconds.
- Add the red quinoa, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, baby kale, and capers.
- Stir the mixture a few times until baby kale is little wilted and everything is mixed well.
- Squeeze lemon juice over dish.
- Garnish it with some serrano pepper slices (for those looking for some heat in their bowl).