Besan Chilla is one of our favorite breakfast options on the weekends. It can be whipped up in literally 10 minutes and can be enjoyed with crunchy toast, cilantro/mint chutney and masala chai.
I absolutely love the versatility of chickpea flour-the question is: what can’t be made with this gluten-free flour? Savory crepes check, desserts check, fritters check and I also remember back in India, we use to make a chickpea flour face pack mixed with yogurt and turmeric for exfoliating our skin and making it glow!
We enjoy eating it with cilantro/mint chutney, cardamom and cinnamon latte and sourdough toast on the side!
1 cup besan/chickpea flour
1.5 cups water
1/2 cup white onion chopped
1 small tomato finely chopped
1-2 green chili's finely chopped
2-3 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon Indian red chili powder
1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves crushed
2-3 tablespoons avocado oil for frying
- Sieve the chickpea flour to avoid any lumps.
- Mix all the ingredients except oil to make a smooth batter.
- Check the batter if you need additonal salt or spice.
- Heat a cast-iron pan, pour little batter with the help of a ladle.
- Spread it gently to make a thin crepe by swirling the pan or by using a spoon.
- Drizzle a little oil on all the sides of the chilla.
- Cook for few minutes until crisp and then fill over to cook the other side.
- Remove on a plate and serve hot!
* A Tip: Chopping tomatoes and onions finely is a key for spreading the chilla batter.