A flavorful and creamy soup that is perfect for those chilly, Fall/Winter days. The lemongrass and cinnamon provides festive and nuanced flavors. This healthy and simple meal is also great in big quantities for your next party. What a perfect complement to autumn leaves and first snowfalls!
1 medium butternut squash
1 stick lemon grass cut into 3 big pieces
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup leeks chopped
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon avocado oil (optional)
1 can light coconut milk
3-4 cups of vegetable stock (home made or store bought)
1 teaspoon salt
Crushed pepper to taste
Vegan creamer (Nut pod) or full fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional)
Few Microgreens or cilantro leaves to garnish
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash in cubes. Spread the cubes in an oven baking sheet. Toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook it until tender for 30 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon avocado oil in a soup pot (optional). Add the garlic, leeks and cook for a minute on medium flame.
- Add the cooked butternut squash, ginger, cinnamon stick, lemongrass (cut into big pieces for easy removal) and stir it until coated.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper.
- Let it cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat until all the favors are infused together.
- Take out the cinnamon stick and lemongrass. Blend the rest of the ingredients in a blender (Vitamix preferred) until smooth. If the consistency of the soup is thick, you can add a little vegetable stock and bring it to boil before serving it.
- Garnish it with toasted pumpkin seeds, microgreens, splash of vegan creamer, lime juice and hemp seeds.
- When in a hurry, you can bake the butternut squash a day before for faster results or use simple cook the butternut squash in instant pot/ stove top.