Pesto is such a versatile sauce that pairs beautifully with sandwiches, pizzas, grilled vegetables and pastas. But sadly the ready made pesto sauces are loaded with parmesan cheese and huge amounts of olive oil, totally unfit for vegans and anyone watching their weight like us.
Our Vegan pesto is creamy, garlicky, super delicious and best of all made with very little extra virgin olive oil. If you want to omit the olive oil that’s totally fine too! We love making fresh pesto every week and store in the refrigerator for quick use as needed. For fun variations, we sometimes use walnuts/ pine nuts instead of cashews and it’s heavenly too!
One of the recent finds in the grocery store was the plant-based tortellini shells filled with almond ricotta and they literally ready under 5 minutes.Digging a bite into these delicate tortellini shells covered with vegan pesto, juicy roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh torn basil leaves, chilli flakes and crushed black pepper is like happiness on a plate!!
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup cashews(soaked for atleast 20 minutes)
2 small garlic cloves
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon extra vrigin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Crushed black pepper to taste
1/4 cup water or as needed
2 packets tortellini( Kite Hill brand)
10-12 cherry tomatoes
6-7 fresh basil leaves
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients of the pesto except water. Run the blender and add water needed to make the pesto smooth.
- Cook the tortellini, according to the package instructions. Strain the pasta, saving little pasta water aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and roast the tomatoes for 8-10 minutes.
- At the time of serving, mix the tortellini's with the pesto and add the pasta water if needed to thin the sauce.
- Garnish with roasted cherry tomatoes, chili flakes, fresh basil leaves, drizzle of extra virgin olive oil(optional) and crushed black pepper!
- Serve it with toasted whole grain bread!