Farro is a type of nutty grain that is rich in protein, fiber, magnesium and iron. Although it is not gluten free, it is definitely a healthy alternative to regular processed wheat. This hearty grain makes excellent salads. I tried my first farro salad in Italy this summer and I completely fell in love with it. This farro salad is my take on the Italian version. The crunchy pine nuts, fresh herbs and drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette is a perfect way to relish and enjoy it!
- 1.5 cup farro
- 1 cup asparagus diagonally chopped
- 1 zucchini cut into halves with skin
- 1 small eggplant cubed with skin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- crushed black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp of olive oil
- 10 basil leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- balsamic vinaigrette
- Wash and cook the farro with 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt, until tender.
- In the mean time, put all the vegetables, garlic, olive oil, salt and crushed black pepper in a oven proof dish and roast them on 350 degree F until tender about 15-20 minutes approximately.
- Once the farro and vegetables are cooked, gently toss them together with olive oil, salt, crushed black pepper, basil, parsley and lemon juice.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and a drizzle of balsamic vinegrette.