Homemade rice and beans are a tasty and necessary accompaniment to any Mexican dish including taco bowls, enchiladas, or burritos. I hope you agree this fresh recipe will outdo anything found on a grocery store shelf. The beans with taco seasoning and cumin are flavorful and hearty while the rice provides zesty texture. Try the rice and beans with our other Mexican recipe posts. Disfrútate!
- 1 cup pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- 1/3 cup onions chopped
- 5 tsp organic taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- Wash the beans and add 2 cups of fresh water to the pressure cooker.
- Drop all the above ingredients in the pressure cooker and give it a mix.
- Wait for one whistle, lower the heat, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Let the pressure drop by itself.
- Mash the beans on the side of the pot with the help of a spoon and let the beans become thick.
- Keep it on the side.
If you do not have a pressure cooker:
Cook the beans with enough water on the stove for an hour or two until tender.
Add onions, taco seasoning, cumin and salt.
Cook until well combined, mashing some of the beans with a spoon on the side of the pan.
Prep time: 25 min.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tsp avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- 5-6 tbsp organic taco seasoning
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Jalapeno slices for garnishing
Directions For Cooking Rice:
- Wash the brown rice and add 2 cups of water in a pot.
- Add oil and a pinch of salt to the pot.
- Once the rice is boiling, turn the heat to low and cook for 18 minutes covered.
- When the rice is tender, uncover it and let it cool.
Directions For Flavoring Rice:
- In a separate pan, place 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté for few minutes until onion turns translucent.
- Add the tomato pieces and let it cook until soft for 3-4 minutes. Mash the tomato mixture with the back of the rubber spatula.
- Add the taco seasoning, cumin, and salt.
- Give contents a mix and add chopped cilantro.
- Garnish with jalapeño slices and chopped tomato pieces.