Vegan burger options are often restricted to bland restaurant options or frozen store bought veggie patties. With this in mind, I experimented with multiple recipes to develop a flavorful, healthy take on the typical veggie burger. This spicy quinoa veggie burger packs a “kick” with southwestern and Indian spices along with a tasty Sriracha aioli. Full of healthy vegetables and protein-rich quinoa, these burgers are a hit with everyone in our house – including the kids!
Servings: 4, Makes 8 patties
- 1 can cannelloni beans
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1/4 cup red quinoa
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded and drained
- 4 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp oat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Avocado oil
Burger Assembly Ingredients:
- Whole wheat (substitute gluten-free buns if preferred)
- Cucumbers sliced
- Tomatoes sliced
- Avocado sliced
- Micro greens
- Sriracha Aioli (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Mix everything in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Cook the white and red quinoa separately (you can find the quinoa recipe here). Let it cool down.
- Wash the Cannelloni beans nicely and then let the water drain. Add them to a bowl. Mash them with a masher.
- Now add both the cooked quinoa to the bowl, red onions, red peppers, mushrooms, carrots, cilantro, and all the spices to the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and oat flour to the bowl (add additional oat flour if the mixture is still wet)
- Taste the mixture now and check for salt (add chili if you prefer a spicier kick).
- Separate the mixture into 6-8 parts and form patties.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of avocado oil in it.
- Cook the patty for 2-3 minutes each side until crispy on both sides.
- Serve hot.
- Toast buns until lightly crispy
- Build on top of bottom bun in this order: arugula, quinoa patty, tomato slices, cucumber slices, avocado and micro greens
- Smear Sriracha aioli on inside of bun top and combine burger