While on a recent trip to Tuscany, I found the vegan Tuscan soups irresistible and was consistently amazed at how flavorful they were. Yearning for that hearty soup when I returned, I set out to re-create it in my kitchen and this recipe was born.
Hopefully, you too will find this soup savory, hearty, and healthy. The creaminess of the cannelloni beans, fresh vegetable stock, rosemary, and herbs gives this soup its immense flavor. Add a drizzle of olive oil, crushed black pepper, and croutons for the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 cup cannelloni beans washed and cooked
- 1 big shallot thinly sliced
- 2 celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste diluted with 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock (see recipe here)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 basil leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary finely chopped
- Crushed black pepper
- Wash and soak the Cannelloni beans overnight. Next day, change the water and cook the beans with 3-4 cups of fresh water until they are tender.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add the chopped garlic and give a quick sauté.
- Now, add the shallot slices and cook until the slices are translucent.
- Blend the cannelloni beans leaving 1/4 cup aside.
- Finally, add the celery, carrots, tomato paste with water, and crushed cannelloni beans to the soup pot. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Next, add the whole beans, vegetable stock, basil, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Let it cook on low heat for about 7-8 minutes.
- Garnish it with extra virgin olive oil and crushed black pepper.
- Serve it hot with homemade gluten-free croutons.