I am so excited to share my new vegan alfredo sauce with you! I am sure you will love this recipe whether you have been plant-based for many years or just transitioning to dairy free. Cashews provide the perfect richness / creaminess and when combined with nutritional yeast, the sauce imbues a nutty and cheesy flavor!
This vegan alfredo sauce is quick to prepare ahead of time and pairs beautifully with fresh tossed pastas or vegetable lasagnas. When I make mac and cheese for my kids using this sauce, they love it too!
Cashews are rich in protein, calcium, vitamin K, potassium, and magnesium. Most traditional alfredo sauces are made with butter, heavy cream, and cheeses. By consuming animal fats, plague starts to build up in our arteries leading to heart disease. Including healthy fats in our diets like cashews and avocados leads to much better cardiovascular health.
Next time you are planning to do a pasta night or thinking to bake a lasagna, give this delicious sauce a try. Use your creativity to add vegetables and herbs of your choice to make it your own. Enjoy!
Vegan Alredo Sauce:
1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup white onion chopped
1 garlic clove( big size)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt( plus more to taste)
Crushed black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon curly parsley( finely chopped)
1 tablespoon crushed chilli flakes
1 box of whole wheat/ brown rice penne
- Soak 1 cup cashews overnight in a bowl. Next day, wash, rinse and drain them.
- Add all the ingredients of the alfredo sauce into a vitmax or high power blender except parsley and crushed chilli flakes.
- Blend everything together until the sauce becomes thick and creamy. Keep the sauce aside.
- Boil whole wheat or brown rice pasta of your choice according to the package directions. Drain the pasta using a strainer reserving a cup of pasta water.
- When ready to serve toss the hot pasta with the alfredo sauce in a non-stick pan over low heat. Add the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce and making sure the pasta is well coated. As soon as the pasta is coated with sauce turn the stove off.
- Garnish the pasta with finely chopped parsley, crushed balck pepper and chilli flakes.
- In addition to the above garnishes, I also love serving this pasta with satueed asparagus and mushrooms. Grilled bread or crostini makes this meal more enjoyable and complete.
- Serve hot!