Few comfort foods match the broad appeal of Mac and Cheese. A lunch staple for many, the dish is universally loved by adults and children alike. The challenge is finding a vegan version of mac and cheese that is equally loved. With this recipe, I set out to recreate the creamy richness of the traditional mac and cheese, but reimagined with a super-healthy cauliflower sauce and brown rice shell pasta. The result is satisfying, dairy-free comfort food that packs flavor and warmth.
Try it and never feel guilty of serving your family mac and cheese again!
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup "So Delicious" coconut milk
- 1/2 cup reserved water (from cauliflower)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp cashews soaked overnight
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 2 cups brown rice shell pasta
- Boil the cauliflower florets in 2 cups water until tender. Save the remaining water.
- Boil the pasta until cooked. Drain it and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non stick pan.
- Add the garlic and onion, then sauté for approximately a minute until the onion is transparent.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the pan.
- Sprinkle it with salt and pepper
- Transfer the mixture to the Vitamix blender.
- Add coconut milk, reserved water, nutritional yeast, and soaked cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce in the pan and heat. Add the boiled pasta and nutmeg. Check for additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with red chili flakes and chopped parsley.