An easy, healthy and a low carb alternative to traditional lasagne shells, these zucchini roll up lasagna takes less than 15 minutes to bake in the oven.
A really fun way to enjoy zucchini that is not only visually appealing but also mouth watering! The well-cooked zucchini rolls, tasty marinara sauce, basil + parsley ricotta cheese, and vegan Parmesan cheese topping work wonderfully together. It is perfect for summer days when you want light and fresh options.
We enjoy pairing the zucchini lasagna with an arugula +fig + balsamic dressing, rustic bread and olive oil! A beautiful presentation of these roll ups makes them an excellent choice for parties /gatherings. Give it a try and you will be transported back to Italy!
2 large zucchini thinly sliced (with a mandoline slicer)
1 cup marinara sauce (Rao brand)
Parmesan cheese (Violife brand)
Herb Ricotta Cheese:
1 block of firm tofu (drained and pattedd dry)
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
1 tablespoon miso paste
3 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teasspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
20 fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves roughly chopped
5 thyme stems
- Using a mandoline slicer, slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- Spread the zucchini slices on a baking sheet lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on both sides of zucchini slices and let them stand for 10-15 minutes. This process will remove all the water from the zucchini ensuring a perfect lasagne that is not watery or soggy.
- To make the herb ricotta cheese, add all the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse few times until you have a consistency of smooth ricotta. Taste for salt, acidity and cheesiness adding more salt, lemon juice or nutritional yeast as required.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degree. To prepare the lasagna, spread the marinara sauce in a cast-iron pan or oven dish.
- Take the zucchini strips and fill them with a tablespoon of the ricotta filling.
- Place all the zucchini roll ups on top of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle it with vegan parmesan cheese, thyme and crushed black pepper.
- Bake it for 15 minutes until zucchini is cooked and cheese has melted through.
- Garnish it with fresh basil, parsley, red chili flakes and more vegan parmesan cheese.